Monday, January 19, 2009

Feeling like Jesus

There are very few days I can honestly say that I felt like Jesus. I don't mean in the literal way, such as feeding thousands; although I did feed some very hungry friends of mine the other day. That doesn't count. I mean, in the sense of carrying a burden, a heavy load and having spectators watch and not offer help. I think a few might have even been laughing. I went to IKEA for the semi-annual blue moon sale and bought some much needed furniture. In case you have never shopped there... everything is packaged in thin, heavy boxes, and in case you don't know what I drive, no it's not a flat bed, but rather a sedan. So there I was trying to maneuver these 60 pound boxes into my car, and yes it was comical, just not to me. Finally after about 20 minutes with no help, I somehow managed (with the grace of God) to not curse and yet get it in there. Yes, I prayed and grunted and pulled my rotator cuff. When I got home I managed to get it out and into the apartment. Yes! Success... or so I thought. Now I got to feeling like Jesus all over again. Granted I didn't have to cut the tree down and cut it into planks, but I still had to assemble the furniture. So I was, in my little world, for 1 hour, a carpenter. And thoughts of Jesus crossed my mind. I wondered how many times he must have ran his hand across wood, and if he ever wanted to curse when he got a splinter in his hand. I wondered if he had an image of what his creations would look like when they were finished. I wondered if that was how he thought of us: his creations, his little projects. My mind drifted back to the labor of getting the material home and I wondered if that was how he felt when he carried his cross? Did he feel like cursing too when people laughed, jeered and spat at him? How his heart must have broken to see his beloved creations laughing at him as he walked to Calvary. I wondered if he ever regretted his sacrifice, and about that time I sat up and looked at my new furniture all put together, just like the picture on the box. I had to smile and know that God did not regret what he suffered for me and for all humanity. He smiles everytime he looks at me and you. Becuase we are on our way to looking like the final image he imagined.

No comments: