Wednesday, April 12, 2006

In search of something great

As I awake from a restless slumber I recall why I am here. She stirs beside me and calls me. She is thirsty and wants a glass of water. So up I go in search for my slippers and then down the hall to the kitchen. I search for a glass, first in the cabinets and then on the rack. Finally I locate one in the dishwasher. I rinse it and place it on the counter as I open the ice box. I search for the pitcher of cold water. I pour some in the clean glass about two-thirds full. And place the pitcher back in the ice box. I turn off the light and head back to the bedroom. She is asleep again. I sigh and place the glass of cold water on the bed stand. I am now fully awake, unable to find sleep. So I search for a book in my bag. Yes, that one with the red dust cover, that's the unfinished one I look for. I take it and head back down the hall, but this time towards the couch in the living room. I turn on the lamp and sit down for the remainder of the dark morning. I read and search within the confines of my thoughts. I search and as my breathing slows and becomes rhythmic I find it. I find what I have searched for all night. I find peace. And all is well again.

No comments: