Friday, December 04, 2009

Are You Half Grown & Half Awake?

While studying for my finals I came across the phrase of 'half grown and half awake'... I won't bore you with the details. I just could not resist to draw the parallels between this theory and what the Holy Spirit was speaking in my heart.

In this theory are eight assumptions. I noted the first as such: “Our usual state of mind is significantly underdeveloped, uncontrolled and dysfunctional”; with my Jesus-lenses it looked like this: Our usual state of spiritual health is significantly underdeveloped (due to lack of church attendance & bible reading), uncontrolled (sinning), and dysfunctional (suffering & conviction due to lifestyle not being in congruence with your beliefs).

When I got deeper in the theory I got the half grown bit and I thought about how some of us Christians are, for lack of better words, half baked. :) If they are sufficiently blessed or blessed “just enough”, then they never strive for more. They tithe the minimum, volunteer only when the “need” is expressed and never stretch their faith. They live on the bare minimum, never trying or even being aware of the next level which God desires all of us to be at.

God is always calling us to do more, to “step up” to that next level with him, not just so that we can reap the benefits and blessings, but so that we can be a blessing to others. In case you didn’t know, God is a show off, he loves to prove himself and demonstrate his awesomeness. However, if we as Christians don’t step up and prepare the stage for Him to show up, then how can He be glorified? I know I don't want to be half awake, half blessed, half living, half portion... I want all that God has in store for me, and I in turn want to be all He imagined and created me for. What about you?

No comments: