Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Perfect Change

Ephesians 5:1-2 The Living Bible (TLB) Follow God’s example in everything you do just as a much loved child imitates his father. Be full of love for others, following the example of Christ who loved you and gave himself to God as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, for Christ’s love for you was like sweet perfume to him.


As I ponder on this scripture I can’t help but smile at the point illustrated above - “as a much loved child imitates his father”. I smile because I know exactly what he is talking about. I have seen it in my children as they strive to serve others and I am glad they are following a positive example I have set as opposed to one of my many flaws. And as I smile I have to evaluate my life further and ask myself if I have been following God’s examples enough. I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, but I do want to be a better person today than I was yesterday. While I am a firm believer in setting goals and resolutions – I don’t think being a better Christian should be a goal but rather a desire to serve others not out of a sense of moral obligation but rather the insistent need that God places in our hearts when we draw near to Him. I believe that His presence is a catalyst for me to change my interactions with others in a way that every contact I have with others will cause them to feel God’s love. Is this ambitious? Yes, it is but not impossible. Like I said, I am not perfect and I won’t deceive myself or anyone else into thinking they have to be either. But I do think that change is more real and effective when we strive for small, frequent changes rather than these large and seemingly impossible ones. I am just one person, but again I can’t help but smile when I think what greatness could be realized for God’s glory if we all strived to be just a little bit more like Christ rather than giving into our shortcomings. Imagine that!

 

No comments: