Monday, November 27, 2006

Bitter Rain

After a day of hard work, I head off to school. It is raining and slighlty chilly. I get a little wet running to the building which houses my class and not to mention I am late. As I enter the class the professor gives me a sort of bemused look as if saying, "oh she is late again". Yet she cannot complain because I am the most outspoken person in class and I have a great grade. What can I say, I do know how to keep my head above water.
But today, it was raining and my head got wet anyway, I was feeling rather bad. As class ended I once again ran, to my car this time. And as I got inside I shook my head to shake the water drops off my messy head. I locked the doors (after all one cannot be too safe now a days). And I turned the car on. I turned the wipers on and then the radio. As I pulled away from the campus it began to rain harder. And on the radio was a sappy holiday song, as it ended, the on air personality comes on and introduces a guest who has called in with a lovely thanksgiving story. It turned out to be a tale of romance and of how her love proposed to her at the dinner table with her family looking on. It was sickening and I quickly changed the channel only to be frustrated that there was nothing better on, so I shut it off. And as I idly drove on I began to wonder why it bothered me so much that this stranger was proposed to. Why should I care?
And then it hit me, it bothered me becuase I know that no one will ever be so considerate as to propose in such a manner, because I know I will not get a second chance at love, because I know that no one will ever love me for me, and that is why I sat there embittered in the rain in my car, on my mundane drive home. How pathetic is that?

No comments: